Community Living Solutions (CLS) provided master planning, memory care design and construction management for this new 24-unit memory care facility that was built to fill local market demand. The facility, built into a hill, offers more than 15,500 square feet of space on the first floor with an additional 7,000 square feet of useable basement space.
- Create a memory care design for purposeful wandering.
- Incorporate life stations into wandering areas to engage residents.
- Incorporate a memory care resource center for families and the community.
- Design and build to accommodate the hill topography.
CLS met with facility leaders to create an efficient design for the small footprint, landlocked facility. After the meetings, the team chose a design that involved digging into the side of a hill to include a lower level.
- CLS incorporated areas into the design for purposeful wandering, including sitting areas and circular hallways.
- Family and community members have access to a memory care resource center to learn more about living with memory loss.
- CLS designed a lower-level activity center and library that is unmatched in the region.
Why the project was successful
St. Paul’s decision to support family members touched by memory loss with a memory care resource and educational center is unparalleled in the local market. St. Paul is known nationally for its memory care program, for which it earned a LeadingAge award. The facility is already filled to capacity.